What is Pay By Mail?
Pay By Mail invoices are issued to drivers who use Mobility Authority toll roads without having a valid electronic tag account or registered pre-paid account. Cameras above the toll lanes record the license plate of all vehicles and the owner of the vehicle is sent an invoice once the plate is transcribed and matched with vehicle registration records. Toll rates for Pay By Mail customers are 50 percent higher than electronic toll tag rates to cover additional processing costs. Pay By Mail bills also include a $1.00 administrative fee. Pay By Mail bills related to out of state license plates are assessed an additional $1.00 administrative fee to cover the cost of retrieving non-Texas vehicle registration information.
Pay By Mail customers have 30 days from the bill date to pay their invoice in person, by mail, online or over the phone.
If you receive an invoice from the Mobility Authority, a vehicle registered in your name has recently traveled on a Mobility Authority operated toll road listed below:
Be aware that if you lease or loan your vehicle to someone else, Texas law dictates that the registered vehicle owner is responsible for paying any tolls incurred by that vehicle.
Failure to Pay a Toll Bill
Failure to pay a toll bill can result in additional fees and court fines.
- Toll Bill: tolls + $1 processing fee
- Notice of Non-Payment: (30 days past due) unpaid tolls + unpaid fees + $15 non-payment fee per invoice
- Second Notice of Non-Payment: (60 days past due) unpaid tolls + unpaid fees + $15 non-payment fee per invoice
- Final Notice of Non-Payment: (90 days past due) unpaid tolls + unpaid fees + $15 non-payment fee per invoice
- Legal Action: (per toll, after 120 + days of nonpayment): subject to criminal misdemeanor charge + toll + court fees + up to $250 special fine per unpaid toll
Save Money on Tolls Statewide
Whether you use toll roads in Austin, Dallas, Houston or anywhere else in Texas, here are some reasons to consider getting an electronic toll tag:
- Savings: Electronic tag customers enjoy a 33% discount on tolls and avoid late fees.
- Convenience: Tolls paid via electronic tag are debited automatically.
- Easy sign-up: Electronic tag accounts can be opened online, by mail or by phone. Get your TxTag, TollTag, EZ Tag, K-Tag, Pikepass, or BancPass today. SunPass can be used on Mobility Authority and NTTA operated toll roads.