Barton Skyway Ramp Relief Project
Proposal to add pavement for auxiliary and merge lanes on southbound MoPac at the Bee Cave Road and Barton Skyway entrance ramps.
The southbound MoPac corridor near Barton Skyway in Austin is plagued by significant congestion issues. Improvements are needed to help alleviate the consistent bottleneck from traffic merging onto southbound MoPac at the Barton Skyway and Bee Caves Road entrance ramps. Current conditions cause backups to the Winsted Lane and Enfield Road entrance ramps and beyond.
Proposed non-tolled improvements include adding pavement for auxiliary and merge lanes on southbound MoPac at the Bee Caves Road and Barton Skyway entrance ramps. This intends to alleviate congestion at Winsted Lane, Enfield Road, Bee Caves Road, and Barton Skyway, and improve travel time throughout the corridor.
Overwhelming demand for the southbound MoPac corridor near Barton Skyway has exceeded capacity of the existing configuration. Due to weaving associated with the current entrance ramp configuration, only 60 percent of existing capacity is being utilized during peak hour traffic. Drivers are experiencing unpredictable travel times and route delays.
- Substantial traffic queueing occurs at Loop 360 southbound exit
- Peak hour travel times are up to 38 minutes
- Mopac ranked in the top 100 of Texas' Most Congested Roadways
The proposed project improvements include:
- Southbound auxiliary lane from Barton Skyway to Loop 360
- Acceleration lane for the southbound Barton Skyway entrance ramp
- Three dedicated through-traﬃc lanes at Loop 360
- Dedicated left lane exit ramp for southbound Loop 360
- Improves travel time by up to 40 percent
- Improves vehicle throughput by up to 47 percent
- Serves an additional 770 vehicles during the afternoon peak period
- Reduces traﬃc merging conﬂicts at entrance ramps
Estimated Cost: $10 million
Funding Source: Potential project funding by the Mobility Authority
Questions? Contact Us:
For project questions, contact our team at 512-342-3299 or using the contact form below.